Thanks to is « funiluge », the precursor of the skilift, the village of Les Mosses was the forerunner of winter ski resorts. Today it is a family resort offering numerous ski pistes and walking trails in summer.
The village of Les Mosses was established by people fleeing the invaders of the valley. Despite a hard life, the population adapted to difficult living conditions and went on to form communities which would survive through agriculture.
Over the centuries the Ormonts would fall first to Savoyard rule, then to Bernese. From 1530 the Reformation reached the valley. After the fall of Bernese rule in the XVIII Century, the Ormonts then became part of Vaud county.
The opening of a road from Aigle in 1839 which was then extended to Château d’Oex in 1870 marked the beginning of tourism in Les Mosses. Hotels and pensions sprung up. After a brief success of the « funiluge » in 1939 - one of the very first in Switzerland - Les Mossses would have to wait more than 10 years before it would get new skilifts.