Aigle Château has reinvented itself on numerous occasions. Built in the 12th Century, extended by the Bernese, restored in 1970 and 2000. It was partially destroyed and then rebuilt several times. It now houses the Vine and Wine Museum as well as four magnificent reception halls.
Originally a fortress, Aigle Château was built at the end of the 12th Century by the Knights of Aigle. From the 13th Centruy and into the 14th Century, various buildings and an outer wall would surround the primitive Aigle Château.
It would be the Bernese, whose coat of arms can still be seen at the entrance gate, who would give Aigle Château its current form. They extended the ramparts, erected new buildings and created lodgings as well as administration offices. Some of the original decor painted in the 16th and 17th centuries can still be admired today by visitors to Aigle Château.
Property of Aigle Commune since 1804, Aigle Château has been lovingly renovated with the help of the county of Vaud, the Swiss Confederation and numerous private donors in the years 1970-1980 as well as 2001-2009.